Taro specialises in cross-border M&A transactions, with significant experience advising Japanese clients on their outbound transactions as well as international clients investing in Japan.
He has experience across a variety of deal types and structures, including public and private M&A, competitive bids and transactions involving complex structures. He advises clients across a wide range of industries, with particular experience in the manufacturing, technology, financial services, consumer and life science sectors.
Ranked as a Rising Star (Bengoshi) for Corporate M&A in Japan by Legal 500, Taro is recognised for his commercial approach and international experience advising clients on transactions in both mature and emerging markets. He has also worked in Allen & Overy's offices in Singapore and Thailand, where he advised Japanese clients on various ASEAN transactions.
JP Tower 22F, 2-7-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku
LLB, The University of Tokyo, 2004
LLM, Kings College London, 2015
Publications: 01 June 2022
Publications: 03 June 2020
Advising Hitachi on its USD1.425bn acquisition of JR Automation from Crestview Partners.
Advising Persol Holdings on its acquisition of ASX listed maintenance services company, Programmed, by way of scheme of arrangement.
Advising MUFG on its USD783m acquisition of a 20% interest in Security Bank of the Philippines.
Advising Pernod Ricard on its bid for a stake in Japanese distillery.
Other noteworthy experience
- MAIF (an affiliate of Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (MIRA)) on its sale of Japanese chemical storage tank operator Central Tank Terminal to KKR.
- Kirin Holdings on its minority investment and strategic partnership with Mitsui & Co., Ltd. into Nightingale Health, Ltd. a Finnish medtech company.
- Persol Holdings on the combination of its S.W Asia business (including Thailand) with Kelly Services.
- Hitachi on its acquisition of Horizon power and its UK nuclear sites from E.ON and RWE.
- Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank in connection with the establishment of its Thai subsidiary, Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Bank (Thai) PCL.
- GlaxoSmithKline on its joint venture with Daiichi-Sankyo for a vaccine business in Japan.
- GE Capital on its acquisition of a Japanese leasing company, Kumamoto Koyo.
- Sekisui House on its acquisition of home building business from ASX-liseted AV Jennings Limited.
- Kishu Paper on its consolidation with another Japanese listed company, Hokuestsu Paper Mills Ltd.
- Kirin Holdings on its divestment of agriculature business.
Rising Star: Bengoshi
Asia Pacific Legal 500, Japan, 2022, 2021 and 2020, Corporate M&A (Japan – International firms)