For over 40 years, Allen & Overy Belgium has been the top-tier trusted partner to leading corporations, financial institutions, private capital players, local and international government institutions (including the European institutions) in and outside of Belgium. With, nearly 120 lawyers in Brussels and Antwerp, we are committed to achieving your strategic goals.
Our top-tier experts in Belgium work flexibly as one team, ready to tap into our market-leading global network of more than 40 offices in key financial and emerging markets.
Our full-service approach allows us to offer unrivalled knowledge in all key areas, including corporate, M&A, finance, litigation, arbitration, investigations, commercial contracts, employment, IP, IT, data protection, real estate, tax, environmental, EU and competition, public, regulatory and projects, energy, natural resources and infrastructure (PENRI).
Our diverse capabilities and our in-depth market knowledge enable us to deliver clear and innovative solutions to complex legal challenges across any industry seamlessly.
We deliver outstanding service and advice that is consistently personable, forward thinking and focussed on having a decisive impact. We can help you seize the opportunities arising from the forces and trends that shape our world and key industries, including in (but not limited to) the following areas:
- Tech transformation – helping you harness the power of disruptive technology using our expertise in fintech, regtech, realtech, insurtech, medtech and data-led transformation so that you can unlock new possibilities for growth.
- Energy transition and sustainability – advising you on all aspects of ESG, from green finance to climate litigation and renewable energy investment so that you can thrive in an increasingly circular economy.
- The rise of private capital - guiding you through the changing financial landscape and the complex regulatory, tax and associated compliance issues allowing you to take full advantage of these changes.
- The implications of political change – helping you navigate the interplay between local, regional (EU) and global law and its impact on business and human rights, international sanctions and trade to enable you to anticipate risks and adapt if necessary.
- Healthcare and life sciences - leveraging our unrivalled expertise in one of Belgium's strongest and most innovative sectors, covering strategic collaborations, regulatory compliance, tax incentives and patent disputes to help you retain your competitive advantage.
Our Advanced Delivery & Solutions teams and products keep Allen & Overy at the forefront of legal innovation. These technology and resourcing solutions are available and can be factored into our offer to ensure our work is tailored to deliver optimal value with the greatest impact.
We’re All In on diversity, equity and inclusion. At A&O, we know we can’t be advanced as a firm by all being the same, which is why diversity, equity and inclusion is one of our strategic priorities. It is central to the kind of firm we want to be. For more information, check out our All In page.
Our firm is passionate about helping others, which is why Allen & Overy’s pro bono and community investment programme uses the skills of both our lawyers and business professionals to find solutions to some of society’s most pressing issues. We feel that it is a strategic priority that our people use their expertise to benefit not just our clients, but also the community around us. For more on our pro bono activities, check out our pro bono and community work page.
- A global pharmaceutical and healthcare company in preparation for a possible injunction by a competitor in relation to an alleged infringement of patent and trade secret rights.
- A major pharmaceutical company in the preparation of a framework collaboration agreement for the development of digital health solutions.
- A global pharmaceutical company on several investigations (by the public prosecutor, internal investigations, etc.), sensitive dismissals, matters related to information and consultation obligations and employment procedures.
- A wholesale global data centre provider on all legal aspects of its first data centre development in Belgium.
- One of Europe’s largest data centers, on the commercial, IT, privacy and regulatory aspects of its negotiations with the hyperscaler(s) who will operate the state-of-the-art green data center.
- Aramco, on a strategic technology transaction with Zoom Video Communications Inc. for the roll-out and commercialisation of their services in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- A global FMCG company on the impact of the Digital Services Act (DSA) on its ongoing relationships with IT suppliers and a number of our client’s e-commerce platforms.
- Telenet, the largest provider of cable broadband services in Belgium, on its “network of the future” joint venture with utility grid operator Fluvius estimated at €2 billion and the related creation of an independent self-funding infrastructure company.
- European Payments Initiative (EPI), an initiative of 16 European banks and payments institution, on their acquisition of the leading Dutch payment scheme Currence iDeal and the Luxembourg-based payment solution provider Payconiq International, from their current shareholders.
Sustainability and energy transition
- Various energy companies on the development of new onshore and offshore projects, as well as on a variety of regulatory issues (including advising on the new regulatory framework for future tenders for offshore wind energy production installations in the Princess Elisabeth Zone in the Belgian North Sea).
- A leading global pharmaceutical company on a geothermal project (including in relation to drilling contracts, exploration permits for locating geothermal power, subsidy conditions for the project, and related litigation) and on various regulatory aspects in connection with potential risks related to the drilling activity and the operation of the geothermal project.
- JERA on the landmark acquisition of a 100% interest in Parkwind NV, the largest offshore wind platform in Belgium and an offshore wind innovator in Europe. The combined synergy will accelerate Parkwind's offshore wind business into new markets as part of the global decarbonisation initiatives and growth in the low-carbon fuel production business.
- Athora Belgium, the Belgian life insurer focused on pension and investment savings, on the acquisition of a life insurance portfolio, with EUR 3.3 billion of assets under management, from NN Insurance.
- Waterland, the shareholders of the Sentia, a cloud consulting company, on the disposal of Sentia Group to Accenture, including the carve-out of certain activities of Sentia, notably its Danish businesses and certain data centers, prior to closing the deal with Accenture.
- Various private credit funds and sponsors on their event-driven unitranche financings.
- Rivean Capital on their acquisition of Trustteam, the Belgian IT and cybersecurity company, from Ardian, another private equity firm.
- IK Investment Partners, the international private equity firm, on the acquisition of Plastiflex, the market-leading global supplier of high-end customised tube system solutions for the healthcare, industrial and appliances markets.
Other experience highlights
- A leading chemicals company in relation to a construction dispute.
- Belgium's largest listed real estate developer on the acquisition and partial lease back of the property in Brussels and on the redevelopment of this site.
- Representing several Belgian companies in “tax abuse” litigation cases, up to the Belgian Supreme Court.
- Major global banks in confidential and parallel antitrust investigations by various competition authorities, including the EC.
- Recticel on its successful defence strategy against the hostile takeover attempt by Greiner AG, which included the sale of its bedding business to the Portuguese group Aquinos and the sale of its engineered foam business to the American Carpenter group.
News and insights
Publications: 07 December 2023
Employee representatives on the works council and health and safety committee benefit from a special form of dismissal protection, which covers all effective members and substitute members sitting on…
Publications: 05 December 2023
The Belgian Competition Authority (the BCA) announced last week that it has initiated an ex officio investigation into a possible abuse of economic dependence in the agricultural sector, making this…
Publications: 01 December 2023
Our monthly regulatory newsletter monitors all relevant developments regarding European regulatory law in English language.
Publications: 30 November 2023
Why it is crucial to correctly identify the leading personnel in a company.
I find the lawyers to be incredibly nimble, efficient and responsive
Chambers Europe 2022
The reason why I use the firm is because it is at the absolute top in Belgium
Chambers Europe 2022
Super-sophisticated, yet pragmatic – in-depth market knowledge
Legal 500 2022
Very efficient and quick and has a very good understanding of the commercial interests of our company
Chambers Europe 2022
The team shines across the globe
Legal 500 2022
A lot of firepower, but brought in a measured, human and to-the-point manner
IFLR 1000 2022
Leading experts across the board. As they see so many deals, they have the latest expertise in-house about state of the market and innovations
Legal 500 2022
- Belgian Law Firm of the Year – Chambers Europe award 2023
- Belgian Law Firm of the Year - Chambers Europe award 2022
- Global 100 – Capital Markets Law Firm of the Year 2022
- HR Excellence Awards – Best Employment Law Firm 2022
- Transactional Law Firm award - Euronext Awards 2021
- Benelux M&A Legal Adviser of the Year - Mergermarkets Awards 2021
- FT Innovative Lawyer Europe Awards - top three for a record-breaking 14 years
- "Women leader 2020" – 2 winners - IFLR 1000
- For over 10 years, the main legal directories have ranked us Tier 1 more than any other Belgian law firm across various practice areas.
Download our office brochure
We partner with our clients on a long-term basis. In today’s world, legal risk management is an integral part of running a business, going well beyond the strict confines of a particular transaction.
Follow us on social media