China (Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong)
We have been in China for over 30 years and, in 1993, were one of the first international law firms to obtain official approval from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) Ministry of Justice to register an office in Beijing. We have one of the most experienced China practices in the region, and have the ability to advise on Australian, Hong Kong, UK and U.S. law.
Services in relation to PRC law are provided through Allen & Overy Lang Yue (FTZ) Joint Operation Office, a joint operation in the China (Shanghai) Pilot Free Trade Zone between Allen & Overy LLP and Shanghai Lang Yue Law Firm, as approved by the Shanghai Bureau of Justice.
We offer a substantial full-service practice from our three strategically located offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong, advising clients on a broad range of national, cross-border and multidisciplinary deals and disputes. Our China practice provides a one-stop service to clients across a broad range of practice areas (including Corporate/M&A and Private Equity, Equity Capital Markets/IPOs, Banking and Finance, Antitrust/Competition, Intellectual Property, Dispute Resolution and Regulatory) covering a variety of sectors including Energy and Natural Resources, Financial Institutions, Industrial and Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Transport, Life Sciences, Real Estate, Retail and Consumer Goods, and Technology, Media and Telecom.
Our China team has a robust understanding and extensive experience of the many practical and legal issues that our clients, both Chinese and international, face in China, and the majority of our lawyers are fluent in both English and Mandarin.
We also advise Chinese clients on their investment and business operations overseas. We have a strong reputation for cross-border work and multijurisdictional transactions, leveraging our network of international offices seamlessly and cost-effectively.
- The Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China
- The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
- Bank of China
- China Three Gorges International
- Global Investment Bank
- Morgan Stanley
- China Resources Enterprise and China Resources Beer (Holdings) Company
- Duiba Group
- Reckitt Benckiser Group
- Ping An Group and Ping An Overseas Holdings, together with another investor
- Hong Kong International Construction Investment Management Group
- China CITIC Bank
The Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China
- The joint lead managers in connection with the offering of USD6 billion sovereign bonds by the Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China. This marks China’s biggest U.S. dollar-denominated bond issuance on record and is the largest Reg. S offering by an Asian sovereign to-date.
- The joint lead managers in connection with the offering of EUR4bn sovereign bonds by the Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China. This is China’s first Euro-denominated bond issuance in 15 years.
- The joint lead managers and joint bookrunners in connection with the offering of USD3bn sovereign bonds by the Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China.
- The joint lead managers and joint bookrunners in connection with the offering of USD2bn sovereign bonds by the Ministry of Finance of the People’s Republic of China. This is the first foreign currency bond offering by the Ministry of Finance since 2004
The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China
In connection with its USD1bn green bond issuance. This is the first issuance under the government’s HKD100bn green bond programme.
Bank of China
The joint lead managers in connection with the issuance of Belt and Road Initiative-themed USD3.8bn equivalent multi-tranche and multi-currency bonds by Bank of China Limited under its USD40bn medium term note programme.
China Three Gorges International
Global Investment Bank
China Resources Enterprise and China Resources Beer (Holdings) Company
Reckitt Benckiser Group
Ping An Group and Ping An Overseas Holdings, together with another investor
Hong Kong International Construction Investment Management Group
China CITIC Bank
News & insights
News: 30 SEPTEMBER 2020
A&O has advised the underwriters led by the joint global coordinators in relation to the offer of Global Depository Receipts (“GDRs”) by China Yangtze Power Co., Ltd. (“CYP”) and admission to trading…Read more
News: 24 SEPTEMBER 2020
Allen & Overy has advised the joint bookrunners and joint lead managers on the issuance of USD2.9 billion 3.58% non-cumulative perpetual offshore preference shares by Industrial and Commercial Bank of…Read more
Publications: 11 SEPTEMBER 2020
The second episode of Trust Us, a podcast hosted by Allen & Overy’s APAC Corporate Trust and Agency team, focuses on our virtual world.Read more
Marketing and Communications Manager
Allen & Overy
9th Floor, Three Exchange Square, Central
- View office