Carbon Capture and Storage
Allen & Overy is at the forefront of this developing climate change technology, advising on carbon capture and storage matters. Our global projects team work with a mix of clients across corporates, financial institutions, multi-laterals, NGOs and governments.
We are intricately familiar with the technology, the issues from both a sponsor’s and a lender’s perspective and, importantly, the solutions that will ensure that a bankable financing is delivered.
As global energy markets shifts focus towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions and creating renewable energy sources, power developers and energy suppliers are turning their attention towards clean energy transition. Use of Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) projects to accelerate towards net-zero emission targets demonstrates the critical role this technology plays on the global stage.
View from the U.S.
- House Committee on Ways & Means Amendments to "Subtitle F - Infrastructure Financing and Community Development", September 12, 2021
- House Committee on Ways & Means Section-by-Section Breakdown of "Subtitles F, G, H & J"
- House Committee on Ways & Means Section-by-Section Breakdown of ""Subtitle I – Responsibly Funding Our Priorities""
- United States Green Bank Act of 2021
- ACCESS 45Q Act
- America's Clean Future Fund Act
- Carbon Capture Moderization Act
- Carbon Capture, Utilization, and Storage Tax Credit Amendments Act of 2021
- CATCH (Coordinated ActIon To Capture Harmful Emissions) Act
- Clean Energy for America Act
- Growing Climate Solutions Act of 2021
- Save America's Clean Energy Jobs Act
- SCALE - Storing CO2 and Emissions Act
Summit Carbon Solutions
Summit Carbon Solutions in connection with the structuring and financing of a USD4.5 billion operation consisting of a portfolio of emitters (and associated CCS technologies), pipelines and sequestration facilities.
Two major U.S. financial institutions
Two major U.S. financial institutions in connection with developing a program for lending to CCS ethanol and hydrogen projects on the sponsor and sequestration side; discussing “direct pay” implications in the event of a legislative change.
A leading publicly-traded oilfield services provider
A Middle East company
A Middle East company on developing a CO2 capture and transportation project in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, the first CO2 grid in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.
An international synthetic fuels company
An international synthetic fuels company on the Carbon Capture and Storage Regulatory Environment Review including reviewing the legislative and regulatory environment for carbon capture and storage in each of the EU, UK, France and Germany.
SK E&S on the development and operation of the Caldita-Barossa LNG Project and Darwin LNG back-fill and tie-in project, including in relation to the proposed development and operation of an associated CCS project utilising the (depleted) Bayu-Udan gas field and associated qualification for, and utilisation of, carbon credits.
News and insights
Publications: 08 April 2022
Yesterday the UK Government published its British Energy Security Strategy in response to the impact that global energy supply constraints post COVID recovery and the outbreak of war in Ukraine has…
Publications: 31 January 2022
In November 2021 partners Jennifer Wnek and Sam Kamyans moderated a panel of experts discussing cutting-edge technologies, including storage, carbon capture, and hydrogen, with a focus on financing in…
Publications: 07 December 2021
On 19 November 2021, the U.S. House of Representatives passed the Build Back Better Act.