Public International Law
Allen & Overy regularly advises on both contentious and non-contentious aspects of public international law, a field in which we are recognised as a leading practice.
Our clients are multinational corporations, sovereign States and international organisations, engaged in cross-border trade, projects and business cooperation.
Public international law is of increasing relevance to our clients, both in contentious and non-contentious matters. We regularly carry out the following types of work for our clients:
Public international law (Advisory)
- Negotiating, drafting and acceding to treaties
- Negotiating and drafting inter-governmental and host government agreements concerning cross-border trade, investment and cooperation
- Cross-border project finance and infrastructure projects
- Structuring cross-border investments
- International investment law protection for investments abroad
- Rights and obligations under international trade law agreements, international intellectual property law agreements, international environmental law agreements, and international human rights law agreements
- International anti-corruption laws
- Boundary disputes and rights to resources straddling borders
- International sanctions
- The immunity of sovereign States and state entities
- Sovereign debt and restructurings
Public international law (Disputes)
- International arbitration under bilateral investment treaties and multilateral investment treaties (in particular the Energy Charter Treaty) before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) and other international arbitral tribunals
- Disputes before World Trade Organisation panels and the WTO Appellate Body
- Disputes before World Intellectual Property Organisation tribunals
Allen & Overy LLP has superlative expertise across the full spectrum of public international law and related matters… Its 'outstanding and hardworking' team is experienced in state-to-state disputes before the International Court of Justice and tribunals under the jurisdiction of the Permanent Court of Arbitration, ICSID, the United Nations Convention for the Law of the Sea and other ad hoc bodies.
Legal 500 UK 2019, Public International Law
Highly regarded for its strong track record in representing sovereign states… Also adept at handling a number of other public international law matters, such as ECT claims, WTO cases, sovereign immunity concerns and international treaty drafting and negotiation.”
Chambers UK 2020, Public International Law
Highly rated for its skilful handling of investment treaty disputes on behalf of both sovereigns and investors. Wins further recognition for its thriving sanctions practice and expert advice on sovereign immunity, Energy Charter Treaty claims, WTO matters and EU law.
Chambers Global 2019, Public International Law