Intellectual Property Disputes
We represent our clients worldwide, in the many different courts and tribunals which are important in IP matters.
Our IP teams understand how to exploit the procedural and tactical possibilities these forums offer in terms of, for example, securing evidence or obtaining fast interim relief or a speedy hearing. This enables us to co-ordinate litigation and settlement strategies to achieve the right business outcome for our clients.
Frequently, a firm technical understanding is crucial to securing success. Many of A&O's people have technical backgrounds and industry experience and can advise with confidence in cases involving the most complex technology.
Antitrust issues are also increasingly important in IP litigation: we work together with our top-tier antitrust practice which includes leading practitioners with specific IP experience.
Our litigation experience spans all areas of intellectual property. For example, we frequently act in:
- Major multi-jurisdictional patent litigation, in the life sciences and technology areas
- Trademark litigation at the highest levels, including before the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Disputes relating to trade secrets, particularly in the financial and telecoms fields
- Copyright disputes, often with an emphasis on digital rights, jurisdictional and antitrust issues
- Disputes relating to transit trade, anti-counterfeiting campaigns and action to prevent parallel imports