Joanna is a seasoned litigator in corporate and commercial disputes, both domestic and international. She is also highly rated for her experience in international arbitration. She handles claims through a complete range of different dispute mechanisms. She has experience of ICC, LCIA and ad hoc arbitrations and has also litigated extensively in the English Commercial Court and in the Chancery Division.
Joanna developed Allen & Overy's Contentious Insurance group, which is rated Tier 1 by both Chambers and Legal 500 for policyholder claims.
Joanna speaks regularly in the UK, in Europe and elsewhere on English law and particularly English insurance law. For ten years she taught Company Law at Cambridge University. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a CEDR Accredited Mediator. She has higher rights of audience (Civil).
Chambers UK 2019 describes Joanna as a “calm, measured and thoughtful figure” who is viewed as a “formidable opponent” and recognised as a “go-to in the market” while Chambers UK 2018 states that she demonstrates "great practical judgement and is hugely experienced." Market commentators describe her as ‘excellent’ and someone who is ‘a great person to work with’."
In 2013 she was appointed by the Law Society of England & Wales as their lead expert on an EU Expert Group examining whether differences in insurance law across the EU present obstacles to trade.
Other noteworthy experience includes advising:
- GBP130m: Acting for a multinational energy company on a claims against its insurers following damage to its processing plant in the Gulf Region.
- Acting for a multinational energy company in relation to an investigation of whether trades undertaken by one of its Asian subsidiaries could have breached EU and US sanctions; handling related English Commercial Court litigation between the counterparties.
- Acting for a US manufacturer in an investigation as to whether there had been anticompetitive behaviour in certain parts of its global network.
- Acting for an AIM listed company in relation to English Commercial Court litigation following a fraud perpetrated by a major shareholder and their nominee directors which had siphoned off funds to other parts of the group.
- USD2bn: Acting for a global mining company in a dispute with a joint venture partner including ICC arbitration and expert determination procedures.
- USD150m: Acting for a mining company in recovering under delayed start up insurance following technical difficulties in getting a new processing plant up and running; this involved ad hoc arbitration in London.
- USD100m: Acting for a methanol plant in challenging issue of legal proceedings in Texas and securing anti-suit injunction; securing English jurisdiction for the dispute.
- EUR50m: Acting for a global telecoms manufacturer in securing insurance cover in LCIA arbitration under bespoke performance bond cover following losses in emerging markets.
Allen & Overy LLP
One Bishops Square
Advising a global fund manager on claims of mismanagement of fixed income funds, acting in arbitration and handling related regulatory aspects; also securing cover under relevant insurance policies.
Advising a multinational seeking recovery of business losses in a LCIA arbitration under a complex alternative risk structure so as to recover losses relating to a large portfolio of aircraft.
Advising a global bank on its recoveries under professional indemnity insurance relating to claims in the U.S. following insolvency of one its major customers; this involved coordination of U.S. litigation, assisting in response to an SEC investigation and liaison and recovery from insurers.
Advising a global bank in upholding and enforcing interest rate swaps with a number of Italian local authorities, including the important decision of Deutsche Bank v Comune di Savona.
Allen & Overy LLP
One Bishops Square
2009-2018 Trustee for Governors for Schools (a charity which seeks to assist schools find individuals with business skills to become school governors).
2017- Trustee appointed to CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution) which has pioneered mediation as a mechanism for resolving disputes in the UK.
Leads the firm’s work in providing representation at a number of pro bono clinics, such as Toynbee Hall, Battersea Legal Advice Clinic.
Has led the firm’s multi jurisdiction response in a number of important pro bono research projects (eg as to the use of evidence obtaining by torture (prepared for Fair Trials International and Redress).
...a calm, measured and thoughtful figure.
Chambers UK 2019
...great practical judgement and is hugely experienced.
Chambers UK 2018
go-to in the market
Chambers UK 2018
Leads A&O’s Annual Director Liability Survey which is conducted in conjuction with Willis Towers Watson.
Editor, The Insurance Disputes Law Review.
News & insights
News: 19 OCTOBER 2020
Allen & Overy Paris a conseillé Korian, premier groupe européen de soin au service des personnes âgées et fragiles, dans le cadre de son entrée en négociations exclusives avec Antin Infrastructure…Lire la suite
Publications: 12 MAY 2020
Alors que la crise sanitaire liée au Covid-19 se poursuit, de nombreuses entreprises s'apprêtent à reprendre leur activité dès le 11 mai 2020. Dirigeants et mandataires sociaux s'interrogent sur les…Lire la suite
Publications: 16 APRIL 2020
Dans le contexte de la crise sanitaire résultant de l'épidémie de Covid-19, en application de l'article 11 de la loi d'urgence n° 2020-290 du 23 mars 2020 pour faire face à l’épidémie (la Loi…Lire la suite
Publications: 16 DECEMBER 2019
En vue de la transposition de la nouvelle directive sur les lanceurs d’alerte d’ici au plus tard le 17 décembre 2021, les employeurs devraient commencer une réflexion interne sur la mise en œuvre de…Lire la suite