Infrastructure and Construction Arbitration
Our International Arbitration group has extensive experience of advising on disputes arising from major infrastructure and construction projects, having advised on some of the most complex, high value and societally significant projects of recent years.
Our global team combines an understanding of construction and engineering issues with extensive experience of international arbitration under all major rules. We act in commercial arbitrations and investment treaty disputes, as well as adjudications and expert determination.
Our global practice covers the full range of construction and engineering projects, including oil and gas infrastructure, power plants, transport and utilities infrastructure, industrial facilities, commercial and residential developments and mining. Our experience spans the globe.
During the construction phase of a project, working closely with our market-leading Projects practice, we help clients develop contract management policies and deploy strategies to prevent disputes. Should disputes arise, we aim to resolve them quickly, efficiently and commercially.
Our seasoned construction arbitration specialists bring extensive experience of construction law as well as international arbitration, including expert advocates. We regularly advise clients in mediations, adjudication and expert determinations, and act for both employers and contractors, giving us insight into the approach both sides take.
Our experience includes advising:
- South Stream Transport, a Gazprom subsidiary, in its ICC arbitration with Saipem relating to a now-cancelled pipeline project to transport gas from Russia, under the Black Sea, to various European countries. More than EUR1.5 billion was in dispute and the case was ultimately settled.
- An Asian oil and gas company, as respondent, in ICC arbitration proceedings arising out of an offshore dredging contract for the development of one of the world’s largest offshore gas fields. The contractor’s claims (valued at around USD150 million) included claims for EoTs and variations, including in relation to allegedly unforeseen ground conditions. A successful award was obtained.
- A major global port operator in DAB, mediation and ICC arbitration proceedings relating to the expansion of a container terminal in the Middle East. Claims arose out of the disputed termination of a construction contract. An award was obtained in our client’s favour and a challenge to that award was defeated in the English courts.
- Band 1, Dispute Resolution, Global-wide, Chambers Global 2019
- International Arbitration Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards 2019
Exceptional magic circle firm with an extensive global presence in key jurisdictions worldwide. Houses leading disputes teams across Europe and Asia… Demonstrates notable expertise in construction, energy and natural resources.
Chambers Global 2019, Global-wide, Dispute Resolution
Represents key industry players in the energy sector…Also active in financial services and construction disputes.
Chambers Global-wide 2019, International Arbitration
noted for its strong track record in construction disputes.
Chambers Global 2020, Middle East-wide, Dispute Resolution
Demonstrates notable expertise in construction, energy and natural resources.
Chambers Global 2019, Dispute Resolution
Especially noted for its arbitration expertise...the team is also noted for its strong track record in construction disputes.
Chambers Middle East-wide 2018, Dispute Resolution
A stellar track record on high-value and cross-border arbitration mandates, acting for major companies in the energy and infrastructure sector, as well as government entities.
Chambers Global 2018, Middle East, Dispute Resolution