Financial Services Arbitration
Allen & Overy is one of the few law firms worldwide with genuine expertise in arbitrations in the banking and financial services sector.
We advise major international banks and corporates, combining a deep understanding of complex financial products with extensive experience of international arbitrations under all major rules. Our arbitration lawyers work seamlessly with our top-tier Banking and Finance and Capital Markets experts.
Our experience of banking and finance arbitration covers all major rules and fora, including the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, and HKIAC, as well as the UNCITRAL Rules. We have expertise in arbitrations relating to loan agreements, security arrangements, bonds and complex derivative instruments, as well as disputes arising from government measures in the wake of financial crises. Unusually, we also have extensive experience representing international banks and funds in investment treaty arbitrations.
Our arbitration practice operates from all the leading financial centres and our arbitration lawyers understand local, as well as international, financial markets. Our market leading lawyers have published extensively on adapting arbitration to the needs of financial services users.
Key highlights of our work include:
- Defeating a EUR200 million claim against Bank of Cyprus, in an arbitration under ICC Rules which arose from the Eurozone crisis.
- Successfully representing a global financial institution in an investment treaty claim against Sri Lanka, for interfering with obligations in an oil hedging agreement between the bank and a state-owned oil company. This is the first case to recognise that financial instruments qualify as an investment for the purposes of these claims.
- Acting for a major fund manager in the defence of an LCIA arbitration brought by a substantial client concerning the management of fixed income funds in excess of USD40 billion. We acted in the LCIA arbitration and in the mediation of the claims to successful settlement.
- Drafting the ISDA Arbitration Guide (2nd edition published in 2018).
- Band 1, Dispute Resolution, Global-wide, Chambers Global 2019
- International Arbitration Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards 2019
- Best Arbitration Team of the Year in Spain and Portugal, 2019
Prominent, respected and fully integrated practice... Acts for blue-chip multinationals, state governments and state-owned entities, with key areas of expertise including… financial services disputes.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, International Arbitration
The practice stands out for its work on energy, banking and finance, insurance and infrastructure projects-related arbitrations.
Legal 500 UK 2018, International Arbitration
Particularly strong in Europe and Asia. Increasingly active in IP disputes, with substantial additional experience on matters in the energy and financial services sectors.
Chambers Global 2017, International Arbitration
A key player in banking and finance-related arbitration, with experience in insolvency issues.
Chambers Europe 2017, International Arbitration
International Arbitration Review
Recent developments and emerging trends in international arbitration law and policy