Tom's practice focuses on M&A, fundraisings and joint venture transactions across Southeast Asia. Tom regularly advises emerging enterprises and start-ups on their capital raises and corporate transactions, and advises growth capital, private equity and sovereign wealth investors across the full range of M&A activities. He has experience of transactions across a variety of industry sectors with a particular focus on tech, financial services, e-commerce and digital infrastructure.
Tom has extensive cross-border experience, having worked in London and Singapore, and has a particular focus on transactions involving Indonesia, Vietnam and the Philippines. He works closely with growth capital and private equity sponsors.
50 Collyer Quay, #09-01 OUE Bayfront
Publications: 07 July 2022
The growth of growth capital: how will the market develop?
There has been an explosion of interest in the growth capital market in recent years, with numerous new investors raising billions of dollars for investment in earlier stage companies positioned for…
Publications: 14 February 2022
Podcast: APAC M&A Insights: What’s driving tech M&A in Asia Pacific and what should investors be wary of?
News: 19 May 2021
Allen & Overy advises on Tokopedia and Gojek’s combination to create the largest technology group in Indonesia
USD18bn: Advising Tokopedia, Indonesia's leading online marketplace on its transformational combination with Gojek, the Indonesian based ridehailing and payments giant. The transaction brings together two of Southeast Asia’s most valuable conglomerates, with the combined business having a valuation of USD18bn, and will create the largest technology company in Indonesia.
USD1.1bn: Advising Tokopedia, Indonesia's leading online marketplace, on its USD1.1bn Series E fundraising from Alibaba and a number of major private equity and venture funds in Indonesia.
USD150m: Advising General Atlantic on its Series C fundraising investment into Kumu, a Philippines-based livestream platform.
THB4.2bn: Advising Thanachart Bank Public Company Limited on the sale of 50.1% of Thanachart Fund Management (TFUND) to Eastspring Investments, the Asian asset management business of Prudential plc, for a consideration value of THB4.2bn.
50 Collyer Quay, #09-01 OUE Bayfront
Other noteworthy experience
Fundraising / Fintech
- Halodoc, the Indonesian online medical consolidation and medicine delivery business, on its USD80m Series C fundraising.
- The innovation, fintech investment and ventures division of a British multinational banking and financial services company on the establishment of a new joint venture with Assembly Payments, a leading Australian payments solution provider, to deliver payment solutions globally.
- Neuron Mobility, a rental e-scooter company and micromobility technology developer, on its Series B fundraising.
- Go-Ventures on various venture capital investments across the spectrum of funding rounds, including its investment in Segari, an online grocery company in Indonesia.
- TNG Digital, the largest e-wallet in Malaysia, on its fundraising tranasctions including an investment by a U.S. investment firm.
M&A / Joint Ventures
- An Asian sovereign wealth fund on their acquisition of an interest in a diagnostic service provider in Southeast Asia.
- A consortium led by a leading Asian sovereign wealth fund on a USD500m investment into a retail chain in Vietnam.
- Keppel Infrastructure Holdings Pte. Ltd on acquisition of a 20% stake in the MET Group, a Swiss-based European, energy company with activities in natural gas, power and oil markets, for a reported deal value estimated to be USD53m.
- Jollibee on its investment into International Coffee & Tea, LLC. which owns and operates the “Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf” international chain of coffee stores and franchises.
- Monde Nissin, a global F&B company headquartered in the Philippines, on the investment by a leading Asian sovereign wealth fund into a minority stake in Monde Nissin.
- Una-Brands, the e-commerce aggregator, on its acquisition of Ergotune and Ergobrand, an online business supplying home office furniture.
Legal 500 2022