Lawson is a partner in Allen & Overy’s Litigation & Investigations Group in London, and is chair of the firm's cyber security group. He specialises in disputes and investigations involving large corporations and financial institutions, and has extensive experience of all aspects of complex commercial litigation and investigations, including matters involving fraud and white collar crime, cyber security breaches, and fund management disputes. He acts for leading FTSE companies, international groups, and private equity and hedge funds, and he routinely handles matters spanning several jurisdictions.
Lawson has been ranked as a leading dispute resolution lawyer in the legal directories for many years where comments about him include: "fantastic, responsive and practical" (Chambers 2019); an excellent tactician who is very good at handling large and complex cases" (Chambers 2018); “His ability to combine legal precision with commercial reality is second to none” (Chambers 2017); “excellent at handling large cases” (Legal 500 2016); “stands out as a serious operator with good commercial judgment” (Chambers 2016);”sees the wood for the trees in complex cases” (Legal 500 2015); “steers through investigatory work with aplomb” (Chambers 2014); "a lawyer who inspires trust…clients know they can rely on him." (Chambers 2013).
Other noteworthy Experience includes advising:
- The European Union and the European Investment Bank in proceedings against the Syrian Arab Republic in the English High Court and the Court of Justice of the European Union seeking the recovery of over €400 million under various financing agreements.
- A global mining company in relation to various multi-jurisdictional post-acquisition disputes following the US$4.9bn sale of part of its business.
- A FTSE 100 company in relation to an investigation into allegations of fraudulent accounting and market manipulation made by a whistleblower to the Serious Fraud Office.
- A global law firm in relation to a US$200 million negligence claim against it concerning the structuring and subsequent collapse of a collateralised debt obligation.
- A FTSE 100 company in relation to a dispute with the Financial Reporting Council concerning allegedly misleading statements and accounting treatment in its report and accounts.
- An insurance company in relation to a criminal investigation by the National Crime Agency and the Information Commissioner’s Office into potential breaches of the Data Protection Act.
- A global aerospace company in proceedings against several banks before the Indian and English courts relating to various financing arrangements, including striking out the Indian proceedings via an anti-suit injunction in the English court.
- A Middle East government in relation to its global options and strategy for dealing with the hacking and subsequent leaking to the international press of sensitive government and diplomatic emails and information.
- A Kazakhstan bank in relation to multiple and multi-jurisdictional proceedings aimed at tracing and recovering the circa US$7 billion stolen from the bank by its former management.
- A global pharmaceutical company in relation to a US$200 million outsourcing dispute.
Allen & Overy LLP
One Bishops Square
Advising nine directors of a FTSE 250 company in relation to a US$175m claim against them for alleged negligence and breach of duty by a major shareholder.
Advising an investment fund in relation to a cyber attack by an employee and the theft of trading strategies. The matter involved civil and criminal proceedings and injunctions in a number of jurisdictions including England, Hong Kong and the US.
Advising a global aerospace and defence company in relation to an investigation into tax fraud and corruption in certain of its overseas operations.
Advising a global private equity firm in litigation involving a €350 million claim concerning the additional consideration payable following the acquisition and subsequent disposal of a major brewing business.
News & insights
Publications: 25 SEPTEMBER 2020
Under State aid rules, UK and EEA Member State governments may not generally provide selective assistance to businesses without prior approval from the European Commission (EC). This includes…Read more
Publications: 24 SEPTEMBER 2020
Environmental issues, and in particular climate change, remain high on the agenda as Europe and other regions seek to "build back greener" in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic. This webinar focused on…Read more
Publications: 30 JUNE 2020
Allen & Overy partners with leading security experts, Kroll, to discuss how to respond to a cybersecurity incident. In light of the heightened threat level due to remote working and disruption caused…Read more
Publications: 14 OCTOBER 2019
Cyberattacks make prominent headlines yet many cyber and data breaches remain private. How firms act in the immediate aftermath of being hit may impact how much damage is done. In this cybersecurity…Read more
Fantastic, responsive and practical.
He is an excellent tactician who is very good at handling large and complex cases
His ability to combine legal precision with commercial reality is second to none
Stands out as a serious operator with good commercial judgment