Claire Toumieux heads the Paris Employment law department.
She advises groups on the HR aspects of strategic operations such as mergers and acquisitions and reorganisations, in particular during the works council consultation phase and negotiations with trade unions. Clients regularly seek Claire’s guidance about sensitive individual situations. This includes investigations in the workplace – e.g. on harassment and discrimination claims – as well as negotiations and disputes before the employment courts. Boardroom advice on executive compensation and termination in regulated environments (listed companies and financial sector) are among her areas of expertise.
Claire has been Chair of the European Employment Lawyers Association (2015-2017), the European body for lawyers specialising in employment law. She is regularly interviewed in the French press (Le Monde, Le Figaro, Les Echos, L’Opinion), even TV shows (RMC–Bourdin Direct) and international publications (Wall Street Journal, Financial Times...).
She also contributes to A&O leading Employment Law blog as well as European Employment Law Cases publication.
Claire has also become a key speaker at the Rencontres Economiques d’Aix-en-Provence, the economic forum which brings together business leaders, academics, international organizations, NGOs and politicians.
Other contributions include:
- Appointment as an expert to the European Commission, to review the Written Statement Directive in light of new forms of employment, leading to the adoption by EU Parliament on 20 June 2019, of the new Directive 2019/1152 on Transparent and predictable working conditions.
- Participation in the OECD project to review the Employment Protection Indicators to measure the level of employment protection of OECD countries (2019-2021).
- Speaker at the IBA Annual Employment and Diversity Law Conference 2022, 7-9 September, in Madrid, about promoting equality and implementing modern working conditions through the collective bargaining process.
Claire is recognised by the international reference guides such as Chambers and Partners, Legal 500, Best Lawyers and Who's Who Legal.
In 2022 Claire has also been recognised by International Employment Lawyer (IEL) as one of the leading Women Leaders in Employment Law worldwide.
"Claire Toumieux is a "very experienced partner who is always available," according to clients. She displays strengths across a variety of employment mandates, including assisting with cross-border M&A transactions, redundancy plans, individual terminations and sexual harassment cases. She has experience in the transportation, financial and media sectors."[Ranked Band 2]
Chambers Europe 2022 - France (Employment)
Legal 500 2022 - France (Employment)
“Allen & Overy LLP‘s practice is a popular choice for strategic matters. The team increasingly advises on internal investigations and handling whistleblowing situations, raised in relation to various issues such as sensitive employment criminal law issues and data protection, notably acting in a number of matters involving alert situations started by high-level executives and CEOs of companies that are clients of the firm. The group’s litigation practice includes several CEO departure, harassment and other high-stakes individual and collective disputes. In corporate matters, the team assists clients with the employment aspects of prominent M&A transactions and advises on reorganisations, recently for example in several large-scale transformation and downsizing projects, including a prominent French company’s highly challenging internal reorganisation. Leading French and international companies and banks are clients. Claire Toumieux and Olivier Picquerey head the team. “
Legal 500 EMEA 2022 - France (Employment)
"A real international team which allows European groups to have a precise, pragmatic analysis of the various laws. One of the only transnational teams specializing in employment law on the European market! Claire Tourmieux is always relevant."
Legal 500 EMEA 2021 - France (Employment)
"Claire Toumieux advises clients across a range of mandates, from support in consultations with employee representative bodies to investigations into market abuse claims. She also acts on redundancy and social plans, with additional strength handling harassment claims. Clients laud her reactivity and pragmatism." [Ranked Band 2]
Chambers Europe 2020 - France (Employment)
Thought Leaders - France 2023
Who's Who Legal 2023 - France (Employment)
52 avenue Hoche
Publications: 21 December 2022
Gender diversity on corporate boards
What to expect from the new EU Women on Boards Directive, including the practical changes for your management structure and the impact on the national legislation of each Member State.
News: 14 April 2022
Allen & Overy advises Crédit Mutuel Arkéa on the sale of Leetchi and MANGOPAY to Advent International
News: 04 February 2022
Allen & Overy advises ABF Ingredients on the acquisition of Fytexia Group
Publications: 06 May 2021
52 avenue Hoche
- Claire is the national correspondent for the European Employment Law Cases publication.
- Article, La Tribune, " La protection des lanceurs d'alerte, quoi qu'il en coûte", May 2022
- Article, «Projet de loi climat & résilience : quelle place pour l’environnement dans le dialogue social ?» - Romaric Lazerges, Claire Toumieux, Arthur Sauzay and Anaïta Massoumi - May 2021
- «Gender diversity on corporate boards» - Claire Toumieux, Silvia Bauza (MD), Livio Bossotto (ML), Gilles Dall'Agnol (LU), Sarah Henchoz (LN), Marta Sendrowicz (WR), Katinka Middelkoop (AM), Inge Vanderreken (BX), Marketa Cisarova (PG), Katarina Matulnikova (BT), Balazs Sahin-Toth (BD), Dr Maria Boerner (FR), May 2021
- Article, ”After the expansion of burnout claims, should employers worry about “bore-out” claims?", August 2020
- Tribune, L’AGEFI, "Reprise de l’activité, un risque pénal maitrisable", July 2020
- Tribune, L’AGEFI, "Reprise de l’activité, un risque pénal maitrisable", June 2020
- Client publication: “Covid-19 - France Key restriction measures”, March 2020
- Article, “Key restriction measures and regulations related to the employees”, March 2020
- Article, Emergency and Economic Measures in Response to Yellow Vest Protests, January 2019
- Global Benefits Vision magazine, article: “French Income Tax reform: One Month Left for Companies to Comply with their New Obligations”, December 2018
- Article, "France: catching up with the #Metoo movement and addressing gender pay gap", October 2018
- Article, "Dénonciation de harcèlement moral: l'immunité ne s'applique que si l'employé qualifie expressément le harcèlement en tant que tel", Octobre 2017
- Article, "Réforme majeure du droit du travail en France: la révolution Macron", October 2017
- Article 5/5 "Ordonnances portant sur le renforcement du dialogue social : le rôle des branches", September 2017
- Article 4/5 "Ordonnances portant sur le renforcement du dialogue social : la fusion des institutions représentatives du personnel", Septembre 2017
- Article 3/5: "Ordonnances portant sur le renforcement du dialogue social : la négociation collective", September 2017
- Article 2/5: "Ordonnances portant sur le renforcement du dialogue social : les licenciements économiques", September 2017
- Article 1/5 "Ordonnances portant sur la réforme du code du travail : La prévisibilité et la sécurisation des relations de travail ", September 2017
- Article "Le nouveau "droit à la déconnexion" en France", February 2017
- Article, "Le suivi médical des salariés après la « Loi Travail »", January 2017
- Article, "Le volet social du projet de loi « Sapin II »", Décember 2016
- Article, "Rémunération des dirigeants de sociétés cotées : le projet de loi « Sapin II »", December 2016
- Article, "Loi « Travail » : et maintenant ?", September 2016
- Article, "Les nouvelles modalités de consultation des institutions représentatives du personnel", July 2016
- Advising « Action Emploi Réfugiés » in France (NGO launched in June 2016)
- Advising the Paris Peace Forum
Leading Individual in Legal 500 EMEA
France, Employment, 2020
Band 2 in Chambers Europe
France, Employment, 2020
Recognised practitioner in Best Lawyers
France, Labor and Employment Law, 2020
Thought Leaders in Who's Who Legal
France, Employment, 2020