Brexit – contingency planning for employers
01 October 2016
Although the longer term impact on UK employment law and worker mobility will depend on the form of the UK’s post-Brexit relationship with the EU, which we will not know for some time, employers can be reassured that there are unlikely to be any short-term changes as EU laws and free movement rights will continue to apply until the point of exit.
That said, these are some practical steps that in-house counsel and HR teams should consider now so as to be prepared to manage the impact of Brexit on their workforce.
- Work with your in-house Brexit team
- Reassure employees
- Audit your workforce
- Review European expatriate arrangements
- Track your European expatriate workers’ immigration status
- Take steps to secure workers’ UK immigration status
- Anticipate skills and service gaps
- Identify any minor contract or policy redrafting
- Check your EWC agreement
- Consider risks for benefit plans