Australia’s renewable energy market – an ambitious decarbonisation agenda with opportunities abound
21 November 2022
What do you need to know?
We’ve produced an overview of Australia's current renewable energy market, the opportunities and anticipated challenges. This publication is just a snapshot of the activity we are seeing in the market, with new announcements being made by government and industry on a daily basis.
For further information or to discuss how we can help you navigate the opportunities mentioned, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with key contacts noted on the left hand side or your usual A&O contact.
Key topics covered include:
- Ambitious renewables and net zero targets by federal and state governments
- A clearer path to “net zero”
- Strong development pipeline
- High demand for batteries
- Increasing focus on pumped hydro and other long duration storage
- Development of Renewable Energy Zones (REZs)
- Huge investment in upgrading and extending transmission infrastructure
- High level of interest from government and private sector in developing a green hydrogen industry
- Offshore wind development shifts up a gear
- High volume of M&A
- Continued market for corporate PPAs
- High energy users turning to green power
- Potential for Australia to be an exporter of energy to the region
- Likely introduction of a capacity mechanism
This topic was covered earlier this year at our APAC renewables market overview, trends and opportunities session during our APAC Projects Academy. Do you need to be an effective operator in your region’s fast-evolving projects markets? If you do, A&O’s Projects Academy will sharpen your edge - register for future academies here.