Antitrust partner Yvo de Vries edits major EU State aid handbook
27 May 2021
Antitrust partner Yvo de Vries has co-edited, with Leigh Hancher and Francesco Maria Salerno, the sixth edition of EU State Aids, a leading practitioner guide widely recognised as a key resource for all involved in advising on or litigating State aid issues. Yvo is based in Amsterdam and has a significant State aid practice.
Published by Sweet & Maxwell and authored by Leigh Hancher, Tom Ottervanger and Piet Jan Slot, EU State Aids examines the substantive and procedural aspects of State aid law and European policy, analysing in depth the underlying rules and how they have been applied by the European Commission and the EU and Member State courts. A&O London-based partner Mark Friend and senior associate Christopher Best contributed to the chapters on state guarantees and aviation respectively. Updated to reflect Covid-related measures, it lists all relevant legislation and guidance, and is particularly well known for its expert analysis of relevant cases, decisions and guidelines and its practical approach.
Subjects covered include:
- the EC’s powers to monitor, control and restrict the forms and levels of aid given by EU Member States to their industries
- the Temporary Framework and other measures to deal with the Covid crisis
- the international rules on subsidy control and trade agreements
- State aid in specific sectors, including the financial sector, aviation, broadband, agriculture, and aid for large investment projects, transport and broadcasting
- the EC guidelines on guarantees, energy and environment, risk finance, regional development, research development and innovation, and rescue and restructuring
- the administrative procedure for examining State aid and for its eventual recovery
“ …the contributions aim at a critical and analytical approach to the subject, rather than merely statements of existing law and practice.” Dr. Rose M. D’Sa, European State Aid Law Quarterly