Unprecedented achievement for the Global Projects, Energy and Infrastructure Group at the 2019 IJ Global awards
22 March 2019
In an unprecedented achievement, Allen & Overy has been awarded Global Legal Adviser of the Year by IJ Global for the eighth time at the annual awards ceremony held this year on the 21 March 2019 at the Natural History Museum, London.
Having received this award more times than any other law firm, the IJ Global honour follows our selection as Global Law Firm of the Year by Project Finance International (PFI) in which we topped PFI’s 2018 legal league tables for the eighth time in nine years.
Commenting on the team’s success, global head of projects and energy, Gareth Price, notes: "We’ve had a great year. To have won two of the market’s most preeminent annual awards is truly remarkable and we are very grateful to our clients for continuing to trust us with their most important transactions. Our success can be attributed to several factors including our adaptation to emerging market trends, a varied deal mix and of course the commitment and excellence of our team members around the world."
David Lee, global head of infrastructure, adds: "This award is reflective of the dedication and hard work from the global group over the past year and our fantastic client loyalty. We have an amazing team and each and every member should be proud of this achievement—given the award is decided by the industry, it’s the most valuable testament to our global excellence."
In addition to receiving the Global Legal Adviser of the Year award, Allen & Overy has also been awarded the IJ Global Middle East Law Firm of the Year 2018 and the IJ Global Asia Pacific Law Firm of the Year 2018. In the Europe and Africa regions, Allen & Overy was the recipient of the following transactional awards:
- European Airports Deal of the Year 2018 for Belgrade Airport;
- European M&A Deal of the Year 2018 for our advice on the acquisition of the John Laing Infrastructure Fund;
- European Ports Deal of the Year 2018 for Rotterdam Gateway (Maasvlake);
- European Offshore Deal of the Year 2018 for SeaMade Belgian wind farm;
- African Power Deal of the Year 2018 for Nachtigal hydro project; and
- African Refinancing Deal of the Year 2018 for Bujagali hydro project.
In the Americas and Middle East region, we have been awarded the following IJ Global honours:
- Latin American Downstream Oil and Gas Deal of the Year 2018 for the Petroperú CESCE refinery;
- Latin American Water Deal of the Year 2018 for the Spence Desalination project;
- MENA Downstream Oil & Gas Deal of the Year 2018 for Duqm refinery; and
- MENA Water Deal of the Year 2018 for Salalah IWP.
And in Asia Pacific, not only did we take home the top award for Legal Adviser of the Year for the second consecutive year, we also won in four Deal of the Year categories below, underlining our market leading position:
- Asia Pacific Power - Gas – Jawa 1 (gas-to-power project in Indonesia)
- Asia Pacific Power - Coal – Nghi Son II (power project in Vietnam)
- Asia Pacific Petrochemicals – Long Son (petrochemical project in Vietnam)
- Asia Pacific M&A – Equis Energy (acquisition of renewable energy portfolio in eight Asian jurisdictions)
The IJ Global awards view the infrastructure and energy sectors broadly, covering M&A, debt finance and a range of other experience across the lifecycle of infrastructure and energy assets. The Global Legal Adviser of the Year is determined through an aggregation of scores from four regional judging panels together with IJ Global’s 2018 league tables.
For further information, please contact Susanna Robinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, on +44 (0)20 3088 3918.