Global trends in merger control enforcement
02 March 2020
We have recently published our latest report on global trends in merger control enforcement. The report analyses data from 2019 and covers 26 jurisdictions, focusing in particular on the EU, U.S. and China.
In 2019 we saw antitrust authorities get tough on merger control, set against a background of dipping global M&A activity, increased attempts by certain politicians to influence merger reviews and calls for reform. In particular:
- More than 40 deals were prohibited or abandoned due to antitrust concerns
- The UK was the standout enforcer
- Authorities continued their unflinching approach to breaches of procedural rules
- The TMT sector saw rising antitrust intervention
- 143 deals were subject to remedies (with behavioural commitments becoming a permanent fixture)
This edition of the report has been covered by the FT.
Find out more and access the report here.