Andrew Ballheimer to step down from Global Managing Partner role in 2020
02 December 2019
Andrew was elected to his current role in May 2016 and before that was Global Co-Head of Corporate. During his tenure as Global Managing Partner (working alongside Global Senior Partner, Wim Dejonghe), the firm has grown strongly, with client revenue growing 26% and profit per equity partner 38% in the first three financial years. The current financial year's trading continues this trend of significant growth, driven by a strategy focusing on exceptional client service, an integrated network of more than 40 top tier offices around the world and industry leadership in innovation.
The firm's leadership has also championed diversity and inclusion in all its forms, with A&O being recognised as one of the Top 50 Employers for Women in the UK by The Times/Business in the Community and the recipient of the Queen's Award for Enterprise for the promotion of social mobility.
Commenting on his decision to step down, Andrew said: "This has been an immensely difficult decision for me, as A&O has been my professional home for almost a lifetime and it has been a unique privilege to serve in my current role. I am happy that the firm is in such great financial shape and, as a result, after 35 years in private practice including 15 years in various senior leadership roles at A&O, I feel it is a good time to explore new challenges in the outside world, including in the wider community, before I am too old!"
Wim Dejonghe, Global Senior Partner said: "I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Andrew and I will be very sorry to see him go. I would like to thank him for his huge contribution to the firm, both as Global Managing Partner and in his previous roles."
Andrew joined the firm in 1987 and became partner in 1994. He has had an award-winning legal career in mergers and acquisitions and capital markets. He has worked in London, Tokyo and New York, where he was Head of International Capital Markets. He was Managing Partner of the London Corporate Department from 2005 to 2010 and then Global Co-Head of Corporate from 2010 to 2016.
For further information, please contact Tim Baxter, email@example.com, on +44 (0)20 3088 7436 or +44 (0)7889 137060.
Notes for Editors:
The firm is making the announcement to provide clarity ahead of its imminent Global Senior and Managing Partner elections. Under Allen & Overy's partnership rules, the Global Senior and Managing Partners are entitled to stand for two four-year terms. A&O will announce the list of candidates for both positions on 12 December, after the deadline for nominations. Voting will take place in February 2020.
Career at Allen & Overy 1987-2020
- May 2016 to April 2020 Global Managing Partner
- 2010-2016 Global Co-Head of Corporate
- 2005-2010 Managing Partner, Corporate Department, London
- 1996-2003 Partner and Head of International Capital Markets Department, New York
- 1994-1996 Partner, Tokyo
- 1987-1994 Associate, London and New York
- Winner "Corporate Team of the Year" (The Lawyer) 2012
- Winner "Corporate Team of the Year" (Legal Business) 2006
- Nominated “Lawyer of the Year” (Financial News) 2008 and (The Lawyer) 2006
- Named in the UK’s “Hot 100 Lawyers” (The Lawyer) 2007 as an M&A lawyer and 2017 as Global Managing Partner.
Allen & Overy
Firm performance 2016-2019
- Client revenue growth and profit before tax both +26%
- PEP +38%
Corporate Practice performance 2005-2016
- Top tier rankings for A&O UK Corporate practice in M&A and ECM
- Top tier rankings for A&O M&A practices in EMEA and Asia-Pac
Recent firm awards
- FT Most Innovative Law Firm in Europe 2017 and 2018
- Law360 Global 20: ranked 2nd 2017, 2nd 2018 and 3rd 2019
- Top 50 Employer in the UK for Women 2019
- Euromoney LMG Women in Business Law Awards 2018 – Best international firm for work-life balance
- Stonewall Top Global Employer for LGBT+ staff 2018 and 2019
- Queen's Award for Enterprise 2017: Promoting Opportunity through Social Mobility