A&O announces series of enhanced policies to support working families
11 February 2020
Allen & Overy has announced a raft of new policies and provisions to support working families.
The policies come into effect on 1 March 2020 following a comprehensive review of existing policies and feedback gathered from across the firm through focus groups, interviews and questionnaires.
In the UK, the new provisions include:
- Increased paternity leave from two to 12 weeks’ paid leave
- Updated maternity and shared parental leave (SPL), including a phased return from maternity leave and SPL using accrued annual leave over an 8-week period
- Neonatal leave provides additional time off for families whose baby is born prematurely or requires neonatal unit care
- A fertility treatment leave policy which provides five days’ paid leave across a 12 month rolling period for fertility treatment
- Enhanced adoption leave provision for both prospective parents to attend meetings and appointments in addition to eligibility for all parental leave entitlements
Commenting on this announcement, global HR director Sasha Hardman comments: "The face of family life is changing so we have listened to what's important to our people to make sure we're keeping pace with change. We want to make it clear that you can have a family and build a successful career at A&O. There is more support, flexibility and encouragement to do this than ever."
The firm is also announcing changes in the UAE, with updates to policies for the region. These include increasing paid paternity leave from two to 12 weeks as well as introducing the same fertility, neonatal, phased maternity leave return and adoption policy updates as outlined for the UK above.
Sasha Hardman adds: "As a global business we want to support our all working parents across the network. The new offering in the UAE is one of the most generous provisions in the region and demonstrates our commitment to supporting our people as they balance the demands of family and working life."