Legal Notice - Belgium
We practise law in Belgium through Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP. Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales with registered number OC416445 and registered office at One Bishops Square, London, E1 6AD, United Kingdom.
Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP is also registered in Belgium through two branch offices at Tervurenlaan 268A, 1150 Brussels and Uitbreidingstraat 72/b3 2600, Antwerp and with VAT registration number BE0674.549.579 RPM/RPR.
Rules and regulations governing professional conduct
All Belgian lawyers at Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP’s Belgian offices are admitted in Belgium to practice as lawyers (Avocat/Advocaat) and are members of the local Bar for their respective office:
- French-speaking Brussels Bar: Ordre français des avocats au barreau de Bruxelles (http://www.barreaudebruxelles.be/)
- Dutch-speaking Brussels Bar: Nederlandse orde van advocaten bij de balie te Brussel (http://www.baliebrussel.be/)
- Orde van advocaten te Antwerpen (balieantwerpen.be/)
Both Dutch-speaking bars are part of the umbrella organisation, De Orde van de Vlaamse Balies - OVB (www.advocaat.be), and both French/German speaking bars are part of the umbrella organisation, Ordre des Barreaux Francophones et Germanophones de Belgique – OFBG (www.avocats.be). The regulatory provisions on professional conduct applicable to members of these Belgian Bar associations can be found at their respective websites, as listed above.
Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP’s Belgian offices also may have a number of lawyers from other jurisdictions who are members of the Brussels Bar List B or E and/or are members of foreign Bars. Further information can be found in the people section.
Professional indemnity insurance
Lawyers registered with the Brussels (French- or Dutch-speaking) or Antwerp Bar are covered by a professional indemnity insurance policy provided by their respective Bar association, as a result of which:
- each lawyer of Allen & Overy that is a member of the Dutch-speaking Brussels or Antwerp Bar is insured by Amlin Europe as the leading insurance company, Koning Albert II-laan 9, 1210 Brussel, with Vanbreda Risk & Benefits (Plantijn en Moretuslei 297, 2140 Antwerpen) as insurance broker. The geographical cover being worldwide except the United States of America and Canada; and
- each lawyer of Allen & Overy that is a member of the French-speaking Brussels Bar is insured by Ethias, rue des Croisier 24, 4000 Liège. The geographical cover being worldwide except the United States of America and Canada.
In addition, Allen & Overy has in place professional indemnity insurance led by Travelers Syndicate 5000 at Lloyd’s, 33 St Mary Axe, London EC3A 8AG and supported by other major insurance companies and Lloyds syndicates (Policy No. P6086636 and others). Our professional indemnity insurance covers Allen & Overy entities worldwide and extends to acts or omissions wherever in the world they occur.
The Belgian Bar associations provide a specific non-judicial dispute resolution procedure for any unresolved complaints about the quality of service or fees. Further details regarding this procedure can be found at:
- For lawyer of Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP that is a member of the Dutch-speaking Brussels or Antwerp Bar: Ombudsdienst Consumentengeschillen Advocatuur (http://oca.ligeca.be/nl/)
- For lawyer of Allen & Overy (Belgium) LLP that is a member of the French-speaking Brussels: Service Ombudsman des avocats de l’Ordre des barreaux francophones et germanophone (http://obfg.ligeca.be/fr)
Code of Conduct
We have developed a Code of Conduct which forms the basis of our engagement with clients. A copy of the Code of Conduct is available on request, please contact In-House Legal (email@example.com).