Competition and Antitrust Litigation
Allen & Overy’s highly experienced competition and antitrust team combines litigation and trial expertise with strategic advice to allow clients to pursue or defend claims successfully before regulators and courts in Europe, the U.S. and around the globe.
A&O’s global team of antitrust enforcement experts includes former U.S. prosecutors (including in the United States Federal Trade Commission), judicial law clerks from the U.S. courts, judicial assistants at the European Court of Justice and law professors, alongside highly experienced lawyers and litigators. Our team represents clients in the highest profile matters globally, including Cartel, monopolization, and abuse of dominance, and is expert in the key procedural issues including class certification, pretrial procedures, and trying cases.
We advise clients across a range of sectors, including financial services, media and technology, consumer and retail, on:
- the fallout from adverse decisions by and results from European, U.S. and national competition authorities concerning breaches of competition law, including appeals of infringement decisions
- multijurisdictional litigation strategies and coordination, including pre-litigation
- the themes and factual development necessary to win any liability claim
- the complex procedural mechanisms in U.S, class actions and private actions for damages, including class certification and damages analysis,
- trial of antitrust competition law claims
- appeals and judicial reviews, including reviews of decisions by regulatory authorities
News & insights
Publications: 24 OCTOBER 2019
On September 20, 2019, the Supreme Court of Canada (“SCC”) issued a landmark antitrust class action decision in Pioneer Corp. v Godfrey which clarified several procedural questions relating to class…Read more
Publications: 30 JULY 2019
The UK class action regime must take a break whilst the Supreme Court (UKSC) hears the appeal in Merricks v MasterCard concerning the proper approach to certification of a class action. Two…Read more
Publications: 23 JULY 2019
The EC published guidelines for national courts to estimate the share of overcharge that is passed on. These non-binding guidelines explain the factors impacting the existence and magnitude of…Read more
Publications: 16 JULY 2019
Recent announcements from senior Antitrust Division officials have brought about sweeping policy changes that are likely to displace the corporate leniency program as the only potential benefit of…Read more
…regularly represents clients in antitrust litigation, private enforcement cases and disputes concerning standard-essential patents.
Chambers Europe, Europe-wide, 2020
...top-10-level work in mergers, cartels and litigation, as well as some of the best showings in non-cartel conduct matters and other competition work.
Global Competition Review 2019