Class Actions and Group Litigation
Allen & Overy handles a broad range of class action and group litigation, including securities law violations, financial services mis-selling, shareholder activism, antitrust follow-on damages and bankruptcy cases.
Our global team of litigation, securities and antitrust experts has handled and resolved class actions and collective redress cases in virtually every significant jurisdiction.
Our work includes advising:
- A global financial institution on a series of class actions alleging manipulation and collusion in the market for U.S. Treasury securities.
- A European bank in defence of U.S. class actions, clawback and damages claims in a European country and other litigation involving a cross-border tax-efficient structured finance transaction hedged with various derivatives trades.
- A major financial institution in government investigations focused on potential manipulation of security and commodity-based volatility indices and trading of related financial derivatives, and related class action lawsuits based on Commodity Exchange Act and Sherman Act claims.
- Mercuria Energy Trading, Inc. and Mercuria Energy Trading S.A. in the antitrust class action cases captioned In re North Sea Brent Crude Oil Futures Litigation. The complaint alleges that the world’s leading energy traders conspired to manipulate the benchmark price of crude oil.
- A seafood products company in a grand jury investigation and class action litigation involving allegations of price-fixing.
- Dr. Joseph M. Feczko, the former Chief Medical Officer of Pfizer Inc., in a securities class action brought against Pfizer and five former executives by a class of investors alleging that the defendants misrepresented the safety risks of Pfizer’s arthritis medications, Celebrex and Bextra.
News & insights
News: 27 January 2022
Allen & Overy continues to invest in its London Litigation and Investigations practice through the hire of civil fraud partner Andy McGregor. Andy joins from RPC, where he was Head of Civil Fraud.
News: 13 January 2022
Allen & Overy has strengthened its disputes group through the appointment of finance litigation partner, Michael Godden, who will be based in London.
Publications: 02 December 2021
The UK Court of Appeal endorsed a strict approach to the “same interest” test when it upheld a decision to strike out the representative element of a claim brought on behalf of 27,800 individuals and…
Publications: 22 September 2020
Harrison Jalla & Ors v (1) Royal Dutch Shell Plc (2) Shell International Trading & Shipping Co Ltd (3) Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Co Ltd  EWHC 2211 (TCC) Representative elements of a…