Class Actions and Group Litigation
Allen & Overy handles a broad range of class action and group litigation, including securities law violations, financial services mis-selling, shareholder activism, antitrust follow-on damages and bankruptcy cases.
Our global team of litigation, securities and antitrust experts has handled and resolved class actions and collective redress cases in virtually every significant jurisdiction.
Our work includes advising:
- A global financial institution on a series of class actions alleging manipulation and collusion in the market for U.S. Treasury securities.
- A European bank in defence of U.S. class actions, clawback and damages claims in a European country and other litigation involving a cross-border tax-efficient structured finance transaction hedged with various derivatives trades.
- A major financial institution in government investigations focused on potential manipulation of security and commodity-based volatility indices and trading of related financial derivatives, and related class action lawsuits based on Commodity Exchange Act and Sherman Act claims.
- Mercuria Energy Trading, Inc. and Mercuria Energy Trading S.A. in the antitrust class action cases captioned In re North Sea Brent Crude Oil Futures Litigation. The complaint alleges that the world’s leading energy traders conspired to manipulate the benchmark price of crude oil.
- A seafood products company in a grand jury investigation and class action litigation involving allegations of price-fixing.
- Dr. Joseph M. Feczko, the former Chief Medical Officer of Pfizer Inc., in a securities class action brought against Pfizer and five former executives by a class of investors alleging that the defendants misrepresented the safety risks of Pfizer’s arthritis medications, Celebrex and Bextra.
News & insights
Publications: 10 SEPTEMBER 2021
In the first article of our Legal Watch Series with Global Trade Review (GTR), Catherine Lang-Anderson and Brandon O’Neil discuss the steps banks can take to manage risk when taking security in a…Read more
Blog Post: 18 AUGUST 2021
The FCA has made clear that it will not hold back in taking action where needed in the UK cryptoasset sphere. Firms and consumers should remain alert to risks (including financial crime risks)…Read more
Publications: 22 SEPTEMBER 2020
Harrison Jalla & Ors v (1) Royal Dutch Shell Plc (2) Shell International Trading & Shipping Co Ltd (3) Shell Nigeria Exploration & Production Co Ltd  EWHC 2211 (TCC) Representative elements of a…Read more
Publications: 28 JANUARY 2020
This is a round-up of the most interesting finance litigation and contractual developments in 2019. The selection is necessarily subjective and draws from a wide range of cases and developments that…Read more