Money Laundering Investigations
Our expert Investigations, Enforcement and Business Crime lawyers advise a broad range of financial institutions and multinational corporations on money laundering investigations across Europe, Asia Pacific and North America.
We handle internal and regulatory investigations into anti-money laundering systems and controls, with particular experience of handling cross-border issues, and have a leading criminal defence capability. Our extensive international presence gives us both the resources and experience to act quickly to form cross-office teams to address these issues effectively and efficiently for our clients.
We advise clients on internal investigations into money laundering, terrorist financing and financial crime concerns, frequently working alongside our advisory colleagues to assess national and international compliance and reporting obligations. We have extensive experience of helping clients avoid and mitigate issues before they arise by implementing internal controls and systems, and we frequently advise on money laundering issues in pre-acquisition due diligence.
Our recent work includes advising:
- A large European bank on regulatory and criminal investigations into concerns about widespread, historic anti-money laundering failings in one of its CEE branches.
- A large European bank on disclosures of suspicions of money laundering and on-going briefings to the relevant UK authorities (FCA, PRA, Bank of England, NCA).
- A board member and ex-chairman of an international company in a criminal investigation into alleged payments made to terrorist groups in order to keep a plant in Syria operational.
- A global financial services group whose client was the victim of fraud and embezzlement conducted by an international gang of criminals, who used a forged instruction for a payment on the trust account of a Belgian attorney.
- Money Laundering Reporting Officers (MLROs) in dual track criminal and regulatory investigations before the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).
Cross-Border White Collar Crime and Investigations Review
An annual report that analyses the latest developments, and highlights the most significant current and emerging issues that white collar crime and investigations in-house counsel should prioritise in the year ahead.
News and insights
Publications: 31 October 2023
Occurrences of de-banking have reportedly been increasing over the last decade1 as financial institutions seek to adapt to a changing regulatory and financial landscape.
Blog Post: 26 October 2023
Quicker and easier sharing of customer information relating to economic crime concerns between firms in the UK financial sector is being encouraged by provisions in the Economic Crime and Corporate…
Blog Post: 20 July 2023
Summary In June 2023, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) issued a report addressing the progress made by the UAE in improving its level of compliance with the FATF Standards, since the FATF’s…