Allen & Overy’s international Cartel and Antitrust Investigations practice represents clients on complex cross-border and national investigations.
Cartel investigations are by their nature high stakes, and cross-border. We help clients in relation to aggressive cartel enforcement across the globe, with highly experienced teams across Europe, the U.S., Asia and Australia that have been involved in most of the leading cartel cases over the past 20 years. We helped shape current U.S. and EU leniency and enforcement policies, and our team covers every aspect of government investigations and enforcement.
Our work on cartel cases includes:
- Developing and executing global defence strategies, including negotiating leniency, settlement terms, deferred prosecution agreements or plea agreements where appropriate and advising on formal proceedings
- Attending dawn raids and subpoenas served on premises to ensure our client's rights are preserved
- Implementing national or international rapid response teams to interview witnesses, review documentation and assess risk
- Creating internal and external communications strategies
- Representation of senior executives under investigation or accused of criminal antitrust violations
- Preparing for potential further inspections
Global antitrust enforcement report
Cross-Border White Collar Crime and Investigations Review
An annual report that analyses the latest developments, and highlights the most significant current and emerging issues that white collar crime and investigations in-house counsel should prioritise in the year ahead.
Global trends in merger control enforcement – 2019 year in review
News and insights
Blog Post: 26 October 2023
Some tips for the collection of chat data during the course of an investigation from our eDiscovery team, part of a series of blogs on chat data and investigations.
Blog Post: 11 October 2023
This post provides tips from our eDiscovery experts on the identification and preservation of chat data during an investigation
Publications: 20 March 2023
A ‘new dawn’ for dawn raids 2022 saw a surge in the number of dawn raids conducted by antitrust authorities across the globe, continuing a trend that commenced in the second half of 2021. After an…
Publications: 20 March 2023
Overall, the number of immunity/leniency cases decided in 2022 (18) was lower than both 2021 (32) and 2020 (31), driven largely by a downtick in the Americas. The costs and uncertainty associated…
Represents defendants both in CJEU appeals against EC cartel fines and in follow-on damages actions. Also has considerable experience in market investigations in heavily regulated sectors.
Chambers UK 2020
The team handles cross-border matters well, knowing that they need to manage different approaches in different jurisdictions.
Chambers Europe 2018 Competition/Antitrust