Financial Services Arbitration
Allen & Overy is one of the few law firms worldwide with genuine expertise in arbitrations in the banking and financial services sector.
We advise major international banks and corporates, combining a deep understanding of complex financial products with extensive experience of international arbitrations under all major rules. Our arbitration lawyers work seamlessly with our top-tier Banking and Finance and Capital Markets experts.
Our experience of banking and finance arbitration covers all major rules and fora, including the LCIA, ICC, SIAC, and HKIAC, as well as the UNCITRAL Rules. We have expertise in arbitrations relating to loan agreements, security arrangements, bonds and complex derivative instruments, as well as disputes arising from government measures in the wake of financial crises. Unusually, we also have extensive experience representing international banks and funds in investment treaty arbitrations.
Our arbitration practice operates from all the leading financial centres and our arbitration lawyers understand local, as well as international, financial markets. Our market leading lawyers have published extensively on adapting arbitration to the needs of financial services users.
Key highlights of our work include:
- Defeating a EUR200 million claim against Bank of Cyprus, in an arbitration under ICC Rules which arose from the Eurozone crisis.
- Successfully representing a global financial institution in an investment treaty claim against Sri Lanka, for interfering with obligations in an oil hedging agreement between the bank and a state-owned oil company. This is the first case to recognise that financial instruments qualify as an investment for the purposes of these claims.
- Acting for a major fund manager in the defence of an LCIA arbitration brought by a substantial client concerning the management of fixed income funds in excess of USD40 billion. We acted in the LCIA arbitration and in the mediation of the claims to successful settlement.
- Drafting the ISDA Arbitration Guide (2nd edition published in 2018).
News and insights
Publications: 22 September 2023
According to WIPO (the World Intellectual Property Organization), Asia accounted for two-thirds of the total IP filing activity for patents, trademarks and industrial designs worldwide, and almost the…
Publications: 22 September 2023
Baseball arbitrations: what they are, who uses them and why they’re beneficial. Many businesses will not have considered or heard of baseball arbitration as a form of dispute resolution.
News: 15 September 2023
Allen & Overy today announced that Daniel Garton has joined the firm’s International Arbitration practice as a partner in London. Daniel is an expert in Construction Arbitration and joins A&O from…
Publications: 08 September 2023
How well suited is arbitration to resolving IP disputes? We and the market have seen a growing trend in parties choosing arbitration to resolve IP disputes.
- Band 1, Dispute Resolution, Global: Multi-Jurisdictional, Chambers Global 2022
- International Arbitration Firm of the Year, Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific Awards 2020
- Leading firm (top tier) ranking in the “Leaders League” table for International Arbitration (Spain) 2022
Allen & Overy is a well-respected law firm which is a significant presence in regional arbitration…It is especially noted for its experience handling financial services and securities disputes, frequently representing major global investment banks.
Chambers Middle East-wide 2022, Dispute Resolution
Prominent, respected and fully integrated practice... Acts for blue-chip multinationals, state governments and state-owned entities, with key areas of expertise including… financial services disputes.
Chambers Asia-Pacific 2020, International Arbitration
Benefits from teams spread across Europe, including London, Amsterdam, Brussels and Bratislava, which all earn praise for their handling of international arbitration…Boasts expertise across the energy, banking and finance, and TMT sectors.
Chambers Europe 2022, International Arbitration
The team is particularly active in arbitrations involving insurance, banking, finance and complex financial products and infrastructure and construction projects.
Legal 500 UK 2020, International Arbitration
International Arbitration Review
Recent developments and emerging trends in international arbitration law and policy