Intellectual Property Disputes
We represent our clients worldwide, in the many different courts and tribunals which are important in IP matters.
Our IP teams understand how to exploit the procedural and tactical possibilities these forums offer in terms of, for example, securing evidence or obtaining fast interim relief or a speedy hearing. This enables us to co-ordinate litigation and settlement strategies to achieve the right business outcome for our clients.
Frequently, a firm technical understanding is crucial to securing success. Many of A&O's people have technical backgrounds and industry experience and can advise with confidence in cases involving the most complex technology.
Antitrust issues are also increasingly important in IP litigation: we work together with our top-tier antitrust practice which includes leading practitioners with specific IP experience.
Our litigation experience spans all areas of intellectual property. For example, we frequently act in:
- Major multi-jurisdictional patent litigation, in the life sciences and technology areas
- Trademark litigation at the highest levels, including before the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Disputes relating to trade secrets, particularly in the financial and telecoms fields
- Copyright disputes, often with an emphasis on digital rights, jurisdictional and antitrust issues
- Disputes relating to transit trade, anti-counterfeiting campaigns and action to prevent parallel imports
News & insights
Publications: 14 JULY 2020
In the second and final webinar in our series, our IP team discusses the future global impact of Covid-19 coronavirus on IP from a transactional, litigation and regulatory perspective.Read more
Publications: 08 JULY 2020
Often seen as a safe haven sector in times of crisis, the life sciences have not only been centre stage during the Covid-19 coronavirus crisis but are riding it out well.Read more
Publications: 11 JUNE 2020
In the first of a series of webinars, Allen & Overy’s IP team addresses the current impact of Covid-19 coronavirus on IP from a transactional, litigation and regulatory perspective.Read more
Publications: 27 APRIL 2020
Here we assess the difficulties the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic poses to brand owners involved in trade mark registry proceedings and trade mark litigation, what brand owners can do to mitigate the…Read more