Commercial Intellectual Property
Allen & Overy’s commercial intellectual property team advises clients on the full range of commercial contracts relating to the exploitation of IP rights.
With the ever-growing focus on innovation, protecting and leveraging IP assets is crucial. A&O’s commercial IP lawyers work closely with our M&A and antitrust colleagues to provide coordinated advice on the full range of IP-rich transactions.
We advise on complex cross-border collaborations, joint ventures and strategic licensing deals involving parties all over the world.
Our experience spans the most complex transactions and includes:
- Licensing, joint ventures and collaborations
- Sales and other forms of disposal of IP rights, including warranty protection
- IP due diligence and verification, including related agreements
- Antitrust risks in licensing, joint venture and non-compete arrangements, including related to the settlement of patent disputes
- Procedures and negotiations of arrangements for parties seeking to exit, or in the event of insolvency or bankruptcy of one party
- Distribution, agency, contract manufacture, supply, sponsorship and other commercial agreements
- IP-backed asset financing and taking security interests over IP assets, including royalty monetisation agreements
Marks & Spencer
on the IP aspects of its GBP750m food delivery joint venture with Ocado, the UK’s leading pure play digital grocer.
on a research collaboration and licence agreement with Roche pursuant to which Exscientia will use its AI drug discovery platform to design pre-clinical drug candidates for Roche.
on the complex division and transfer of an existing trade mark portfolio, including WIPO and other foreign trade marks, in connection with its USD57m acquisition of ČKD Kompresory, based in Prague, Czech Republic, from ČKD Group.
News & insights
Publications: 11 DECEMBER 2020
Adrian Dykes fills us in on why the idea of descriptiveness was not quite black and white. T-133/19, Off-White LLC v EUIPO, General Court, 25th June 2020.Read more
Publications: 10 DECEMBER 2020
In the latest installment of Propel, our podcast series on autonomous vehicles, New York partner Paul Keller interviews Siyuan Chen, Associate Professor at Singapore Management University, Simon…Read more
Publications: 19 NOVEMBER 2020
In the latest installment of Propel, our podcast series on self-driving vehicles, Paul Keller interviews Daniel Ruiz, CEO of Zenzic, the UK agency leading the coordination of that country’s testing…Read more
Publications: 14 JULY 2020
In the second and final webinar in our series, our IP team discusses the future global impact of Covid-19 coronavirus on IP from a transactional, litigation and regulatory perspective.Read more
Recognition of our work
[Allen & Overy's] dedicated experts are in their element advising on the IP aspects of major cross-border transactions.
WTR 1000 2020
Highly recommended, Transactions.
IAM Patent 1000 2020
As one of the best business law firms in the world, Allen & Overy demonstrates a great flair for IP-driven transactions.
WTR 1000 2018
Intellectual property brochure
Life Sciences Hub
A&O Digital Hub