Commercial Intellectual Property
Allen & Overy’s commercial intellectual property team advises clients on the full range of commercial contracts relating to the exploitation of IP rights.
With the ever-growing focus on innovation, protecting and leveraging IP assets is crucial. A&O’s commercial IP lawyers work closely with our M&A and antitrust colleagues to provide coordinated advice on the full range of IP-rich transactions.
We advise on complex cross-border collaborations, joint ventures and strategic licensing deals involving parties all over the world.
Our experience spans the most complex transactions and includes:
- Licensing, joint ventures and collaborations
- Sales and other forms of disposal of IP rights, including warranty protection
- IP due diligence and verification, including related agreements
- Antitrust risks in licensing, joint venture and non-compete arrangements, including related to the settlement of patent disputes
- Procedures and negotiations of arrangements for parties seeking to exit, or in the event of insolvency or bankruptcy of one party
- Distribution, agency, contract manufacture, supply, sponsorship and other commercial agreements
- IP-backed asset financing and taking security interests over IP assets, including royalty monetisation agreements
Marks & Spencer
on the IP aspects of its GBP750m food delivery joint venture with Ocado, the UK’s leading pure play digital grocer.
on a research collaboration and licence agreement with Roche pursuant to which Exscientia will use its AI drug discovery platform to design pre-clinical drug candidates for Roche.
on the complex division and transfer of an existing trade mark portfolio, including WIPO and other foreign trade marks, in connection with its USD57m acquisition of ČKD Kompresory, based in Prague, Czech Republic, from ČKD Group.
News and insights
Blog Post: 20 November 2023
David Tennant and Colby Davis of our US IP litigation practice discuss whether the US Congress may limit the ways companies can effectively challenge the validity of US Patents through inter partes…
News: 20 November 2023
Allen & Overy has advised MBDA UK Limited (MBDA) on its GBP4bn agreement with Polska Grupa Zbrojeniowa S.A., under which it will support PGZ’s delivery of the NAREW air defence programme for the…
News: 21 September 2023
Collaboration will leverage Exscientia’s precision design capabilities to focus on previously unsolved drug design challenges.
Publications: 01 February 2022
The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has just tabled a bill aimed at transposing the European Directive on whistleblowers. Even if the bill has to go through the entire legislative process, and will most…
Recognition of our work
[Allen & Overy's] dedicated experts are in their element advising on the IP aspects of major cross-border transactions.
WTR 1000 2020
Highly recommended, Transactions.
IAM Patent 1000 2020
As one of the best business law firms in the world, Allen & Overy demonstrates a great flair for IP-driven transactions.
WTR 1000 2018
Intellectual property brochure
Life Sciences Talk