Our Structured and Asset Finance practice is a recognised leader for its ability to structure complex transactions.
But we also have extensive experience at other levels and across all sectors of the asset finance industry. Whatever we’re handling, our lawyers have the breadth and depth of experience to help our clients find the most commercially beneficial way to structure a deal.
We advise on both domestic and cross-border asset financings including all types of debt, lease (both tax- and non-tax-based, including UK tax leasing, Spanish operating tax leases, Japanese operating leases) export credit and capital markets driven products, securitisations, receivables financings, vendor programmes and retail finance. Our lawyers help clients to buy and sell leasing companies and portfolios of assets, and structure regional and global leasing business networks. They also advise on aircraft repossessions and have extensive experience on airline and ship restructurings and insolvencies.
We act for banks, financiers, airlines, lessors, manufacturers, captive finance companies, operators, borrowers, lessees, export credit agencies, and governmental and international organisations.
With a range of experts throughout our worldwide network, we’re able to cover all types of vessel and offshore installation from LNG carriers and drilling rigs to VLCCs and luxury yachts. Similarly, we advise on the full range of aircraft financing including all types of pre- and post-delivery financings, ECA backed financing, operating leases, sale and purchase of new and used aircraft and structured financing, and give advice on general aviation matters such as regulatory and maintenance. Our expertise in domestic and cross-border asset financings covers everything from rail, manufacturing plants, water treatment facilities and pipelines to vehicle fleets, mining equipment, films, satellites and computer hardware/software.
We have a track record for advising clients on transactions that become market firsts and award winners, helping us to cement our position at the forefront of the market.
News & insights
Publications: 10 FEBRUARY 2020
Two recent settlements in the United States have highlighted the risks for parties involved in aviation and shipping of incurring liabilities for a breach of sanctions.Read more
News: 09 JANUARY 2020
Allen & Overy advised two leading Japanese banks in connection with a Japanese operating lease transaction including a call option (JOLCO). The transaction serves to finance seven Airbus aircraft for Deutsche Lufthansa AG, including two A350-941 and five A320-271N aircraft. The total volume amounted to approximately USD 530 million.Read more
News: 18 DECEMBER 2019
Allen & Overy has advised Aurum Leasing Limited ("Aurum") in a sale and leaseback transaction relating to two Boeing 737-800 aircraft with Dubai Aviation Corporation, (trading as “flydubai”).Read more
Publications: 23 SEPTEMBER 2019
On Tuesday, September 24th Allen & Overy hosted the Getting to Zero Coalition’s strategy group meeting following the launch of the Coalition at the UN Secretary General’s Climate Action Summit on Monday September 23rd.Read more
Best Aviation Law firm in the Middle East & Africa.
Airline Economics 2018, 2017 & 2016
Shipping Law Firm of the Year.
Global Transport Finance 2017, 2016 & 2015
AFIC Insurer Group
- The AFIC insurer group on the financing of two Boeing 777 freighter aircraft on lease to Turkish Airlines. This was the first AFIC supported transaction to include a tax lease structure. Tax lease Deal of the Year, Airfinance Journal 2017.
- The AFIC insurer group in relation to their establishment and the ground breaking financing of six Boeing 737MAX 8 aircraft for Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA. This involved developing a pioneering new structure which uses private insurance cover for the financing of aircraft in place of EXIM/ECA guarantees. This was the first EMEA AFIC transaction and the first to use English law. Editors’ Deal of the Year for Innovation, Airline Economics 2017.
BNP Paribas Bpifrance, SACE and US Bank
Dubai Aerospace Enterprise
Dubai Islamic Bank
Floreat Aviation Fund
- UKEF on the financing of two Boeing 787-7 aircraft to LOT Polish Airlines. This was the first UKEF guaranteed financing for Boeing aircraft. Export Credit Deal of the Year, Airfinance Journal 2017.
- UKEF and Credit Agricole in relation to the financing of six Boeing 787-9 aircraft to Norwegian Air Shuttle, including three by way of JOLCO financing. The first JOLCO financing won European Deal of the Year, Airline Economics 2017 and JOLCO financing Deal of the Year, Global Transport Finance 2017.
- UKEF on the aircraft finance and Islamic structuring aspects of the world’s first UKEF Sukuk for Emirates involving the purchase of Airbus A380-800 aircraft. This was also the largest ECA-supported capital markets offering in the aviation space. Middle East Deal of the Year.