Environmental, Social and Governance
Today’s investors are looking for ways to put their capital to work in a sustainable way, one focused on avoiding harm to people and the planet and creating long-term value through socially desirable activities.
Financial services, insurance and other professionals must now find their way around a rapidly evolving landscape of environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors and assess businesses according to their ESG characteristics in order to support investors who wish to make socially responsible investment decisions. Allen & Overy has the subject matter expertise to guide you safely through the increasingly legal ESG landscape.
Our ESG team’s advice is informed by decades of collective experience in environmental, social and governance matters, and by tracking the latest developments in ESG-related regulation and litigation around the world. We bring together global expertise in specialist practice areas in Environmental Law, Business and Human Rights, Sustainable Finance, Corporate Governance, Employee Engagement and Data protection and Cybersecurity, as well as Consulting Services.
The group's experience will enable you to take advantage of ESG-related business opportunities by helping you find ways to integrate ESG factors into your due diligence practices, portfolio analysis and investment decisions; design and roll out financial products that have a positive social or environmental impact; and monitor and report on your successes in a manner that meets regulatory requirements.
We can also help you navigate the ESG landscape and help you find ways to identify risks across your portfolio; avoid involvement in adverse ESG impacts; assess the ESG related credit and other risks of your potential clients; gain a competitive advantage as regulation and litigation develops; design and roll out compliance processes and contractual mechanisms to mitigate risks; and obtain assurance and develop reports on your ESG performance.
News & insights
Publications: 28 MAY 2020
Pension scheme trustees are rightly focusing on key operational priorities during the current Covid-19 global health crisis – but it's important not to lose sight of a number of upcoming changes…Read more
Publications: 20 MAY 2020
The Covid-19 coronavirus crisis has brought into sharp focus the immediate economic priorities for governments and businesses. Where does this leave the environmental, social and governance (ESG)…Read more
Publications: 17 JANUARY 2020
The start of a new year is a good time to reflect on developments in global business and human rights (BHR) law and policy. There were significant changes in the relationship between business and…Read more
Publications: 03 DECEMBER 2019
Having a culture which encourages employees to speak up in a safe environment is a stated aim of most organisations, globally. How a firm deals with whistleblowing is therefore a litmus test of the…Read more
Areas in which we assist clients
Risk management and strategy
- Assist in developing ESG policies and practices
- Draft ESG management plans and codes of conduct for projects and transactions
- Design bespoke contractual mechanisms and dispute resolution clauses to permit leverage and exit
- Advise Board and C-Suite on regulatory landscape and litigation risks
- Scan transactions and lending to identify potential ESG impacts throughout value/supply chain
- Conduct structured ESG due diligence and impact assessments on high-risk projects, transactions and lending
- Assess effectiveness of responses to ESG impacts, provide metrics and analysis and design alternative strategies
- Draft strategic reports, sustainability and modern slavery reports
- Design grievance mechanisms as early warning systems and remediation processes
- Dispute resolution: we represent clients before courts and tribunals, where they face claims involving alleged environmental, social and governance abuses
- Advise on all aspects of sustainable finance, from corporate green loans or bonds and sustainable supply chain financing, to financing renewable energy projects
- Develop standards for products such as green or social impact bonds and loans
Awards & accolades
- Best Green/SRI Law Firm, Global Capital Sustainable and Responsible
- Capital Markets Awards 2017
- European Regulatory Team of the Year 2018, IFLR Europe 2018
- Tier One for Disputes Resolution, Chambers Global 2020
- Tier One for Regulatory – Environment, Chambers Europe-wide 2019
Noteworthy firm with a significant human rights practice spanning litigation and compliance across several markets.
Chambers Global 2020, Business and Human Rights Law
They have a big global footprint and do well in all areas of what is a broad-ranging practice.
Chambers USA 2019, Environment