Our Institutional Investor practice, which is part of our Funds & Asset Management Group, advises clients on both traditional and alternative investments across all the major asset classes including public securities, real estate, private equity, credit, infrastructure, hedge funds and managed accounts.
Our specialist team has advised sovereign wealth funds, central banks, pension funds, insurance companies, DFIs, investment managers, family offices and high-net-worth individuals on their investments for over 25 years. As a result, we have built up a global team of experts in the key financial centres, across Europe, the Middle East, Asia-Pacific, Australia and the U.S.
In the last 12 months, we have advised on 100+ fund reviews, 50+ IMAs, 10+ fund of one matters, and 10+ co-investment matters. We currently advise 20 sovereign wealth funds in the Middle East alone.
Our institutional investor practice stands out in the market because it:
- is a dedicated business line not a by-product of our fund establishment practice;
- covers the broadest spectrum of legal and regulatory issues affecting investors; and
- advises a variety of institutional investors across geographies which gives us a unique perspective on what is market and the knowledge to negotiate skilfully on behalf of our clients.
Due to the high-volume of transactions our team advise on, we are able to provide bespoke transaction documents covering a range of legal issues. The information held within our knowledge database allows us to advise on what terms are market, and to help them negotiate in a commercial, practical and cost-efficient manner.
Our capabilities include the following:
- Fund investments in private and public funds (across all asset classes)
- Managed accounts and funds-of-one
- Custody arrangements
- Brokerage and other trading documentation
- Regulatory issues (e.g. shareholder disclosures, foreign investor/ market access regulations)
- Portfolio due diligence
- Trading documentation
- Authorised/managed funds
- Buy-out funds
- Shari’ah compliant funds
- Secondary transactions
- Investments into private equity funds, hedge funds, infrastructure funds, real estate funds; and credit/ debt funds.
Recognition of our work
Regularly advises high-end regional and international clients on a range of investment products. Recognised by a number of sources for its impressive sovereign wealth fund expertise. Has extensive capabilities in open and closed-ended funds, Shari'a-compliant structures and private equity investments.
Chambers & Partners Middle East, Investment Funds, 2019
Advises asset managers and institutional investors alongside pension provider and sovereign wealth fund clients, offering integrated support across key jurisdictions.
Legal 500 UK, Investment Funds
Clients laud the team for its "technical advice, commercial awareness, responsiveness and availability.
Chambers & Partners Luxembourg, Investment Funds, 2020
In addition to its GP-side practice, the firm has a flourishing practice acting for institutional investors and sovereign wealth funds making high-profile cornerstone investments into funds.
Chambers & Partners UK, Investment Funds, 2020