Our dedicated Portuguese desk has the resources to deal with the most complex transactions. We have excellent contacts with leading local firms and provide an integrated international service to those active in the Portuguese market.
We are widely recognised as one of the leading international legal practices advising key players in the Iberian peninsula and have a strong reputation in cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions.
Banking and Finance
We are at the heart of the world’s banking and financial markets. Our practice involves us advising on global transactions and working with leading international banks and on general lending, structured products and complex restructurings in the country.
Our extensive experience has enabled us to position ourselves as leaders in the European market. Financial institutions call upon us as a first option to advise them on the whole range of services regarding equity and debt issues, MTN programmes, derivatives and other aspects of capital markets. We advise underwriters, issuers, selling shareholders and rating agencies.
Corporate and M&A
Allen & Overy has a reputation for combining the highest quality technical expertise with commercial pragmatism. The Portuguese desk complements this expertise and pragmatism with its knowledge, understanding and experience of local market trends. We have a reputation for getting to the heart of the most complex issues, focussing on bid strategy, structuring issues and minimising execution risks.
Projects, Energy and Infrastructure
We are a market leader in projects and have played an important role in some of the major projects in infrastructure (roads, bridges) and energy taking place in the region. We advise a wide range of clients in both the public and private sector, including governments, sponsors, financiers, ECAs and project companies.
Our recent experience
- Parpublica in connection with its EUR885 million exchangeable bonds related to the 5th phase of the privatisation of GALP Energia.
- Caixa General in connection with its EUR10 billion covered bond programme.
- Banco Espirito Santo de Investimento in relation to its EUR1.4bn rights issue.
- Brisa in connection with its EUR3bn debt restructuring.
- Banco BPI, advising the lenders in relation to the financing of the EUR746m Scutvias Beira Interior shadow toll road.
- Portugal Telecom, advising the arrangers in relation to its EUR1.2bn facilities.