Allen & Overy is the market leader for power projects in Thailand and the Indochina region. We have an in depth understanding and knowledge of energy sectors, based on the experience, know-how and contacts that we have accumulated over 10 years.
Our team has extensive and recent experience advising on the development and financing of power projects in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar and has developed a leading reputation from banks and sponsors for its ability to deliver outstanding advice and documentation - on both the financing and project sides.
Recent examples of our work
- The sponsors on Vietnam's first BOT project to reach financial close. The combined-cycle power plant project involved multi-sourced financing which included multilaterals, commercial lenders and political risk insurance. It was the first project financing approved by the State Bank of Vietnam.
- JBIC in relation to a loan to be made for the Vung Ang 1 Thermal Power Project
- A consortium comprising Japanese and Korean companies on all aspects of their bid for the Nghi Son II Power Project
- ADB, IFC and international commercial and Thai banks in relation to the financing of the Nam Ngum 3 Hydropower Project
- All the lenders, including ADB, on the USD1.25bn project financing of the Nam Theun 2 hydropower project
- The lenders on the refinancing and extension of the Theun-Hinboun hydropower project
- Asian Development Bank, Thai-Exim Bank, Foreign Trade Bank of Cambodia and Arco Capital Corporation, on the provision of a USD 23.5 million loan to Cambodia Power Transmission Lines Co. Ltd. for the construction of 221 kilometres of 115 kilo-volt double circuit transmission lines